3/15/2015

Quote of the week

The most famous detectives of the world are invited - for dinner and a murder. How can they resist? It turns out that Lionel Twain, their host, is not only challenging them to solve the murder that is about to happen and promising a handsome reward of one million dollars, but that he also turns up as the murder victim a little later.

One of my favorite quotes of the movie that is brimming with wonderful stars says it all. I have thought that for many years. Seriously, how am I supposed to know that the butler's sister's husband's aunt Lucy who comes to visit in the last chapter is really the lord's first wife's daughter from her second marriage Lucille? (Yes, I do know there are a lot of 'ssssssssss here, I did that on purpose)

Lionel Twain: You've all been clever for so long, you've forgotten to be humble. You've tricked and fooled your readers for years. You've tortured us all with surprise endings that made no sense. You've introduced characters in the last five pages that were never in the book before! You've *pointing at Miss Marbles* withheld clues and information that made it impossible for us to guess who did it. But now the tables are turned. Millions of angry mystery readers are now getting their revenge! When the world learns I've outsmarted you, they'll be selling your $1.95 books for 12 cents. It's checkout time, ladies and gentlemen. I have your bills ready. Credit cards will be accepted.


Hear, hear!
Even if you think I've spoiled watching the movie for you now, you are wrong. Give it a try if you haven't seen it yet, it's still a classic (and it has a blind butler!).

Murder by Death, USA, 1976

2 comments:

  1. I loved this movie. I haven't seen it in ages or given it a thought. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! There is one quote from it that I use a lot, so it never completely disappears from my thoughts ;-)

      Delete