1/14/2015

Oldies but Goodies - Orange

Orange is the color of the choice for this week's Oldies but Goodies Challenge at the Jewelry Artisans Community.
I have been wracking my brain for an orange-related story, but all it did was making me crave orange juice which I don't have in the house. In my despair I hopped over to Wikipedia to see what they had to say about the color.
"Orange is the colour of saffron, carrots, pumpkins and apricots." Huh. I have to admit I was surprised to see that orange is obviously not the colour of oranges then?
I went to look up orange as a word.
"The word is derived from a Dravidian language, and it passed through numerous other languages including Sanskrit and Old French before reaching the English language. The earliest uses of the word in English refer to the fruit, and the colour was later named after the fruit. Before the English-speaking world was exposed to the fruit, the colour was referred to as "yellow-red" (geoluread in Old English) or "red-yellow"."
Phew. Oranges are orange, what a relief.

Before this post is getting any sillier, however, I'll just present what our JAC members had to offer to the discussion. Enjoy.


1 Jewelry Art by Dawn
2 The Crafty Chimp
3 Violetmoon's Corner
4 Galadryl Design
5 Cat's Wire

3 comments:

  1. Such beautiful orange selections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought that orange doesn't get the recognition it deserves. It's a wonderful, bright and happy color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think just like yellow it's not a color everyone can wear which is why people are careful with it, but you are right, it's a happy color.

      Delete