1/23/2012

Interview with the artist - Sue from Dala Horse

Today please welcome Sue from Dala Horse.
I remember well when I set eyes on one her pieces, unfortunately not in real life, but on our jewelry forum for the first time. Sue's jewelry is unique and beautiful and the way she captures animals shows her connection to the animal world.
It's hard to pick my favorite among her collection, but one of them certainly is this gorgeous raven pendant.


Let's give the word to Sue now however, shall we?

Tell us a little about who you are and where you come from.

I am John's wife, mother of 3 grown kids, Dan, Jeff and Devon, 2 cats, Lily and Mia, a guinea pig named Grey Ears or Grey for short, and a black and white bunny named Benjamin. In short I'm an animal nut. I was born in Miami, Florida, but have lived in Ohio since I've been a wee one. We live in a rural suburb called Morrow ... our house is on 8 acres and we have an abundance of wildlife that occupies our surroundings ... like foxes, skunks, deer, hawks, groundhogs, bunnies, wild turkeys, stray cats from time to time. Thank goodness I'm an animal lover!

What's your craft/art and how did you get to do it in the first place?

My art would be jewelry design and creation ... I began doing wirework and beadwork exclusively and branched out into silversmithing. With the help of a local mentor, Ted, also known as Smithy from then SJA forum, now JAC, I learned how to solder using oxygen and propane. My first torch experience was with hand held butane torches and solder paste ... I learned how to solder myself, in the basement, but not very well. Smithy taught me the fine points. I now work out of a studio in Dayton, Ohio ... Mythic Silver. Dave Brand and Sandra Picciano-Brand are the resident jewelry artists there ... they are awesome folks and wonderful teachers! My first stop at the local bead shop was to buy crystals, beadwire, crimpers and pliers to make a bracelet ... truth be known ... my husband does all my crimps and drilling (he's a mechanical engineer and former machinist ... he's my quality control guy and teacher, too). Even years ago one could spend a lot of money at a bead shop and lose track time ... bead shop time warp.

I think this is one of the most asked questions - where does your inspiration come from?

Everything and anything ... I'm a visual person with a very overactive imagination ... I need to start writing ideas down because I get great ideas ... then other great ideas take their place and lots of cool stuff goes unrealized.



Tell us a fun thing about yourself.

Hmmmm ... self proclaimed lunatic and experimenter ... also love to shop ... hopelessly addicted to clearance shopping! Also Sci-Fi and horror movie junkie.

Do you do other crafts, if yes, what?

Not at present. I would like to try my hand at leather tooling.

Which one of your pieces is your absolute favorite? Which one was the hardest to make and why?

My favorite would be my Wolf Totem pendant ... I love how he turned out, especially the beadwork I did for that piece ... everything came together beautifully. The hardest piece was the one I thought would be the easiest ... that's always how things go for me ... each and every piece has its quirks ... thank goodness for these pieces though because they are the best teachers.


Is there someone whom you admire and who inspires you?

Buddha and the teachings of Buddhism. "Wisdom is the best guide and faith is the best companion. One must try to escape from the darkness of ignorance and suffering, and seek the light of Enlightenment." (His Holiness the Dalai Lama)
Another inspiration is St. Francis, patron saint of the animals. I love the Prayer of St. Francis ... I start my day out with it.

If you had free choice of one supply you need for your craft/art, what would it be?

Sterling silver sheet in a bunch of different gauges.

Do you sell online, if yes, where can we find you?

Etsy is where you can find me ... at Dala Horse.

Is there anything you feel you need or want to tell the world outside now?

Hmmmm .... might have to get back to you on that one ... oh ... I do have a giveaway coming soon, so visit my blog and enter to win.

You better do that because look what Sue is giving away - Moonshine the Rabbit pendant. Isn't it gorgeous?

Moonshine the Rabbit - the cab is obsidian

4 comments:

  1. incredible she knows to craft these pieces herself, lovely interview and work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Sue's work, she's an artist I truly admire - her style just speaks to me.

    Wonderful interview, thank you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview - Love Sue's work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so sorry, Sue :-( Poor little Benjamin!

    ReplyDelete