1/30/2010

15 books I will always remember


Reading Astrid's blog made me do this. In very random order, I should add.


  1. Andersen's fairy tales – it was a gift from my godmother. It doesn't contain all of his fairy tales, but the ones I love most (maybe because they were the first for me?). I see the illustrations before my inner eye when thinking of these tales. I wonder why my favorites are all the sad ones …

  1. All of the adventures of the Lockett children by Mary E.Atkinson (who also wrote the Flicka books that I never read because I was never one of those horse-crazy girls). These books are hard to find, but they are in my collection at last.

  1. The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald. Actually I like all books by Betty MacDonald. Her „grown-up“ books can always make me laugh no matter how often I read them, the children books are full of fantasy.

  1. George Washington Carver, the man who overcame by Lawrence Elliott. Carver is one of my personal heroes. Born as a slave's child he went to school whenever and wherever he could. He finally became professor in Tuskegee, Alabama.

  1. Mamal by Niels Meyn. It's about one of the first mammals on earth. My favorite illustration in this book is a T. Rex tearing up a triceratops. I can assure you I didn't grow up to be a violent person anyway ;-)

  1. The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett. I'm a hardcore Pratchett fan, but I think this one is my favorite.

  1. In the shadow of man by Jane van Lawick-Goodall (she was still married to her first husband then). I was 12 when my godmother gave me this book for Christmas and I can't count how often I read it. It's the story about how Goodall came to Gombe for the first time.

  1. Innocent killers by Hugo van Lawick and Jane van Lawick-Goodall. Jackals,hyenas and African wild dogs are seen from a different point of view.

  1. Leave a message for Willie by Marcia Muller. I love the whole Sharon McCone series, but this one is special to me. It's the only one of the series not translated into German and I translated it as a surprise for my sister which means it was practically hammered into my mind afterwards.

  1. The cat who came in from the cold by Deric Longden and all of his other books. You don't know him? Read him!! This is British humor at its best.

  1. Serengeti shall not die by Bernhard and Michael Grzimek.

  2. The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien. The first volume is the best. It's like a road movie and I love road movies.

  1. MASH by Richard Hooker. I own the whole series, but the first two are definitely the best.

  1. Relic by Douglas J. Preston and Lincoln Child. I'm a fan of their books, but this is the best one.

  1. Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. I love each and every one of them. Another Doyle favorite of mine is The Lost World.


This is a strange mixture. Wow.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting list :). I love Andersen too as a child. Will look for The Cat Who Came In From the Cold :D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read, I think, all of the Mrs. Pigglewiggle books, but never the Egg & I, and I'll have to add Deric Longden to my list of default authors--the ones whose areas I gravitate to in libraries & bookstores.

    ReplyDelete